The Town Clerk Office provides limited Notary Services as a courtesy to Ledyard residents. There is no fee for Ledyard residents for simple, non-commercial notarial actions up to 2 signatures. Non-residents are charged $5 for simple notarial actions.
Important points to remember if you are requesting notarization from this office:
- The Town Clerk’s office does not notarize documents pertaining to the following legal actions:
- Wills (We advise that wills should be executed under the guidance of an attorney.)
- Blank documents
- Child custody
- Documents that will be recorded on the Ledyard land records
- I-9 Forms
- Powers of attorney
- When notarizing a document, if the notary does not know the signer personally, the signer must provide the notary with at least 2 forms of identification containing the individual’s signature, at least one of which contains the signer’s photograph or physical description.
- Your signing of the document must be witnessed by the notary.
- You are responsible for providing the required witnesses.
We encourage you to support your fellow Ledyard residents who have offered their Notary services to the public. View their listing (PDF).
The Notaries and Town Clerks do not provide Legal Advice to patrons, so if you have any questions regarding the content, form, preparation, adequacy and process steps for your document, please contact an attorney before requesting notarization. If a Notary is uncomfortable notarizing the document, they are not required to notarize it.